Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Camp Bobo

Daron thinks this was the best Missouri trip ever.  I may agree, but the competition is stiff.  The drive there was pleasantish until the last hour where we had an unhappy baby soundtrack.  Not bad, I'd say. I was expecting the worst since the passenger chair has to sit bolt upright due to the car seat behind it, and we were packed in pretty tight what with the giant pinata I decided would be a good idea to transport along with all the luggage and baby things with four people in a Corolla.  Silas was living the high life watching his new car DVD player from Meemaw and Gramps.  I feel pride in having held out this long getting one, but also pretty much loved having it.  When we woke him up to put him in the car at 5 AM I assumed he would go right back to sleep.  At 5:10 AM I looked back and he had made it through three applesauces from his snack box.  This snacking pace continued most of the trip.

We got to my folks at about 8:30 PM.  Rory only added about an hour and a half to the journey.  He didn't want to nurse much, so we did have to stop for batteries for my pump and I took care of that traveling down the highway and doing my best not to give the truck drivers too much of a show. 

We pretty much just put the kids to bed and chatted the first night.  The next morning we took Rory to meet Grandma Cain. My buddy, Kristen, came to visit at lunch time and we caught up until our delicious rib dinner. This has always been my sister's requested meal, but I must say it is growing on me as a favorite.  My parents have a fun spot to come home to for sure.  Silas loves feeding carrots to the horses and gathering eggs from the chickens (and trying not to be flogged by the "big one"). We were also given a quart of fresh honey from their bees.  That night we went for ice cream and to an escape room as is our new custom. I as always contributed nothing. My nephews however were pretty impressive and their was one cool bit where I felt like I was in the Goonies playing a piano in order to open a lock.

This brings us to Monday where we headed to the new lake cabin, "Camp Bobo".  Quite the upgrade from the old trailer my grandpa lived in on the property for years.  My parents did tons of work on it and it is amazing!  We enjoyed all the amenities...swimming, boating, throwing rocks, porch sitting, laundry doing, garbage disposal running... Silas survived the tormenting of Mr. Roebke and warmed up to the water.  By the end of our time he had switched roles and was dragging his grandpa under the dock and boat and not phased at all by the mention of being left on Shark Island or in Snake Cove.  That night we enjoyed a visit from Doll-Doll and dad made BBQ chicken for dinner.  I feel the need to mention each meal because they are so far superior to what I serve in SC.

Tuesday we lounged and enjoyed cards and a trip to Walmart where we were pleased to find plenty of green icing for the next day's festivities.  The cousins went to White Water but we were reunited for steak and an evening fishing excursion where one lunker (new term for me, and sarcastically used) was all that was managed.




Wednesday was the big birthday for Trevor and Silas.  We held the Dock Olympics in the morning and guests arrived for burgers and brats in the afternoon.  Our Olympic competitions consisted of speed fishing (gold to Trenton), the rock toss (gold to Trevor), the noodle jump (gold to Trenton again), and a diving competition with slightly biased judges (gold to Silas).  Silas continues to be obsessed with Peter Pan and has the nicest uncle so we went with a Neverland theme for the party.  I had to shave his felt costume of fuzz to make it even half presentable. The plan was to confiscate the presents and leave a ransom note from Captain Hook.  Once a sword fight with a Hook pinata was won, Silas would find a treasure map in the spoils that would lead him to his missing gifts.  I had to save Hook from the rain at one point and we were a bit short of children, but it went pretty well. There were far too many gifts to hide so I just took a few for the hunt and stowed the rest in the laundry closet.  I think Silas would have been happy just wearing his costume like every other day so that kept the pressure low.  Malachi and Eli stepped up as lost boys and aided in pinata destruction and treasure locating.

Thursday Conn left and there was the usual sad adjustment to the quiet.  We enjoyed some final lake time and cleaned up a bit before heading to La Pizza Cellar and the Branson Landing for shopping on the way home.



Peter, Wendy, and the Lost Boys

Friday we packed in the fun with horseback riding, putt-putt, a wild animal safari (where Silas can boast of being bitten by an emu), cashew chicken, Andy's frozen custard, and family movie night. My sweet cousin, Annie, and her family drove down from Union to meet Rory and play with us for the day.


The culprit

The trip home on Saturday was similar to the way there, only much more depressing with all the fun in our wake. Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment